Eating the same salad day in and day out can get boring pretty quickly. And with warmer days behind us, I can’t bring myself to make more pesto orzo salads since it reminds me too much of summer. So in order to break out of my lunchtime habits and still eat something healthy, I decided to make my first quinoa salad.
I found this quinoa recipe on Vegetarian Times and pretty much followed it with a few adjustments. Below is the revised recipe. I have to admit – it was pretty good, and I’ll definitely be making it again.
Vegetarian Quinoa Salad
1 1/2 cups quinoa and bulgar mix
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 red onion
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
15 grape tomatoes, quartered
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Handful of fresh basil, torn
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 avocado, diced & cubed feta cheese
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
– Bring salted water to a boi. Add quinoa and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 12 minutes.
– Once oven is ready, toast pine nuts for three minutes until slightly brown. Cool and transfer to large bowl.
– Drain quinoa and rinse under water. Add quinoa to pine nuts and stir in cucumber, tomatoes, onion.
– Fold in olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
– Serve salad in bowls, and top with fresh avocado and feta cheese.